CABLE ADVISORY COUNCIL
Minutes of Public Regular Meeting –
Tuesday, January 12, 2010
There was a regular meeting of the Cable Advisory Council called to order at 7:01 p.m., Tuesday, January 12, 2010 by Vice Chair Jim Lang at the Charter Communications facility, Newtown, Connecticut.
ATTENDEES: Joe Hurley (New Milford), Kate Donahue (Trumbull), George Fletcher (New Milford), Paul Katzmark (Southbury), Ray Juskiewicz (New Fairfield), Bob Bell (New Fairfield), Stephanie O’Rourke (Kent), Jim Lang (Trumbull), Gregory Davis (Roxbury), George Linkletter (Sherman), Tom Joyner (Sherman), Carl Braun (Woodbury).
From Charter: Greg Van Antwerp (Community Access), Paula Cecchetelli (Marketing), Tom Cohan (Govt Relations)
PUBLIC INPUT: None
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
One correction was made to the November minutes.
Carl Braun gave his report: total of $20,323.14 between checking account, money market and CD. Motion to accept Juskiewicz, 2nd Bob Bell, unanimous.
CHARTER COMMUNICATIONS REPORT.
· Charter has emerged from bankruptcy on 11/30/09. Now they have to wait 45 days to reissue stock and list on NASDAQ – expect by end of 1st quarter
· State legislation – short session this year. Expect only some tax relief on AT&T bills.
· Federal – mid February expect FCC to issue “State of Broadband Report”- use of federal stimulus money to “map” the state. CT is pretty much 100% built out.
· Rate increase – Basic up $5, expanded basic down $5. (affects only about 10% of customers)
· Programming battles:
o Time Warner v Fox – resolved
o Scripps v Cablevision – not resolved
o Programmers (cable) are looking for big increases this year
o Broadcasters are now asking for programming fees – up to $1 per subscriber/mo
· Heritage Village question regarding rate increase/rate reduction – threatening to go to Blumenthal
· Tom Horan may be out for a month
· Rate increase as mentioned by Tom
· More HD channels effective 12/31/09
· No new channel additions
· Adding 60 MG Internet level - $99.99/mo
Greg Van Antwerp –
· Public access report and newsletter.
· Year end Public Access report for DPUC. Good year, 98 equipment loans, 27.5 hours of local edition, ~300 hours of programming
· Next internship cycle starts 1/28
· Reminder that local government officials can come and tape shows. Trumbull and Newtown FS have been on; Monroe and Brookfield coming up
The meeting was unanimously adjourned at: 8:17 PM. Respectfully submitted by: Kate